Tuesday, July 1, 2014

It's a Piece of CakeI

Last Saturday morning the hubs agreed to help me take pictures, since this quilt is too long for my usual hang-on-the-fence method and I really didn't feel like chasing the kids off the playground equipment at the park on a Saturday morning.  But between the humidity that kept fogging up the lens on the camera and the whining about "Are you done yet?" my photo shoot was pretty frustrating.  It was exceptionally humid and uncomfortable out there (which made me super grateful for my lovely air-conditioned house). 

This is the last of the quilts I started at Stash Bash, although I have yet to quilt the Single Girl.  This one is called Piece of Cake 3 by Camille Roskelly.  It's from her Craftsy Class "Playful Piecing".  The fabric is Vintage Modern by Bonnie and Camille.  It was super easy to put together and I really enjoyed the process of piecing this one. It was perfectly straightforward. 

1.  Slice up the layer cake.
2.  Rearrange the strips.
3.  Sew them back together.
4.  Arrange the blocks.

This one went together super fast, which was totally what I was going for.  I started it about 9:00 one evening and had the top finished before I went to bed.


I wanted something light and breezy for the quilting so I tried the cute little flowers I saw on Allison's blog.  It was really fun and fast, but I some are definitely better than others.  And next time I'm going to work on getting from one to another more gracefully.  But I'm not unhappy with this one.

With all the whining, this is the only shot I got of the back (see way up there at the top?)  I used a piece of another Bonnie and Camille fabric - I think this one is from the Happy Go Lucky line.  It was just a smidge too narrow so I added a 4" strip of that Eat Your Fruits and Veggies dot you see in the binding up the back.  Not very original, but it gave it some interest and had the added benefit of making the back of the quilt wide enough, which I thought was a real plus!

I really couldn't get a good picture of the binding at all, probably because the pieces I used were anywhere from a 6 to 18 inches, but I did a scrappy binding from pieces left over from the 2012 Block of the Month project which also used Vintage Modern.

So this was my last finish for June, which turned out to be a pretty productive month for quilting here. I hope you had a great quilty month also.



Not sure what July might bring in that area, I'm off on a "great adventure", but so looking forward to it, since it includes seeing these guys.  Can't wait!



1 comment:

I love comments! Please - make my day!